Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

My job and why I didn’t keep it

The current company I work for is great.  And by great I mean amazing.  The people are supportive, nice, and really like an extended family.  We watch movies on the occasional Friday, eat pizza, and cheer on the local sports teams.  There may be squabbles from time to time, but it reminds me more of an argument between siblings than anything else.

And I’m good at what I do.  After just almost two years of working here, they really trust my judgment.  I basically run an entire department by myself, just asking for help and opinions when I have questions.  They are looking for a replacement that is just like me, even wanting me to sit in on the interviews and give my opinions of each candidate.

So with all that praise, it may come as a surprise when I say that they offered to let me work remotely from Madison…and I didn’t take it.  I didn’t take it for a number of reasons, even though everyone I am in anyway related to is disappointed in me for not just going ahead with this job.

First, I need a change.  I never in my life planned to work in this industry.  I didn’t even know what it was when I interviewed for my current position.  And I work the claims side, which is hard.  I get emotional when I shouldn’t be.  I feel the consumer’s pain when I must deny their claim or give them less than they expected.  I really just need to do something where I feel like I’m contributing to society.  Something I believe in and can be proud to say, I did this…  Not I helped Bank of America foreclose on twenty people today and then denied a claim of an owner because he didn’t know to ask for a certain type of coverage when he purchased his property.  I originally set out after law school to find a job that contributed to society, but the economy was not my friend, so I took the first job offer I was given.

It isn’t only the actually work that is convincing me to leave, although that is the main factor.  There is also the fact that I am an introvert.  After I know people for a period of time I will open up and start to relax, but at first, I’m just no good.  I don’t like going to parties, or even going out on a weeknight much to my husband’s dismay.  I enjoy reading books and working on sewing projects.  And I suck at making friends.  Moving to a new city where I know absolutely no one is going to be hard in itself.  But moving there and working from home would be a disaster.  I would just make excuse after excuse as to why I don’t need to go out of the house and sooner or later I would become a hermit.  No, I need a job outside the house.  One where I can talk to people every day, even if it is only to say “hello.”  Basically, I need human interaction.

Even though my parents, husband, in-laws, everyone I talk with, may think I’m crazy for quitting this “cush” job where I could work from home in my pjs, I have my reasons.  They may not be the best

No comments:

Post a Comment